Our new outbuilding is coming along slowly but surely!
If you are new to my blog, or have not heard about this building yet, here is the story.
This sits off the back of my studio in our backyard.
It started out as being a place we can park extra cars.
It has turned into a little more than that now, and I am thinking it will end up being a great place to have parties, dinner parties, flea markets, and craft nights.
My dad drew up the plans for us and we got started on construction this past summer.
I have been put in charge of putting all the siding on, and I am halfway there :)
My husband and friends did all the construction, roofing, etc.
My husband built a big sliding barn door with vintage windows we found at Restore.
Then came the time for the "finish" work.
I say that in quotations because we are far from being done.
But we plan to hold our daughters grad party in there in June, so we need to finish soon.
On the inside we used what looks like old barnwood on the ceiling, but it's actually tongue and groove pre-finished wood from the hardware store.
We painted the walls Graphite by Benjamin Moore, the same as our bedroom.
I really wanted to paint it white but my husband insisted on black, and now that it's painted I am so glad we went that route.
The last thing we finished up was wrapping the beams in cedar to mimic the look of "real" beams.
Here are some progress shots, very messy still, but there's always a mess during construction.
This first set of pictures shows the beams before they were wrapped.
I am in love with the greyed ceilings.
Before the window and baseboard trim as well.
The huge sliding barn door was made with a custom metal frame, wood, and windows.
We still need to stain the inside of it to match the ceiling.
A couple bad pictures of the walls and ceilings. These are all i phone pictures.
I will do a final nicer photo shoot when it's done.
We did 2 sets of lights.
"Can" or "pot" lights line either side.
Then hanging lights down the center.
They are both on different switches so we can have them all on, or one or the other.
I will get better pictures of the outside soon.
We are still searching for the perfect vintage light to go over the door.
The shingles will get stained to match our house as well.
And here we are wrapping the beams in cedar. At first we thought we were going to stain them to match the ceiling, but after finishing we decided to leave them natural.
It was really hard to match up all the seams, etc.
I think my husband did a really good job.
That's it for now!
I will update as soon as we have made more progress.